Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Christening the pan

So last night I made my first batch with the new pan. It's a Martha Stewart branded pan (the boy's got taste!), so in honor of the queen of all things homemaker, I decided to christen the pan with one of her recipes. 

The recipe: I chose Martha's recipe for ginger brownies. I chose this recipe for a few reasons. First, I like the combo of dark chocolate & ginger - I'm a big fan of spice in chocolate. Also, it's late fall & gingerbread is coming into season. This recipe is the first true scratch brownie that I've made in a while. I know it's generally frowned upon by bakers of the world, but I usually make my brownies from a mix - Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix, to be precise. I doctor it up quiet a bit (extra vanilla, some sea salt), but it's still a mix. Scratch brownies just involve a lot more planning. But since this was the first batch with the new pan, I wanted to go all out. 

The results: This recipe calls for both bittersweet chocolate & cocoa. They're definitely chocolately. But because of all that bitter chocolate, they're really not all that sweet. The spice in them (ginger, nutmeg, and clove) actually makes them almost savory. The recipe calls for fresh grated ginger. I opted to take candied ginger & add chopped bits instead, 'cause I like bits in my brownies. After eating a few over the course of the day, I think I've decided that I'm not loving this recipe. It's a great sundae brownie - with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream, they'd be great. They're so bittersweet that they need a creamy element, just like putting milk in coffee. 

Bottom line: I might make these again, though I'd probably go with a semisweet chocolate base & maybe a bit more sugar. And I'd make them when I knew brownie sundaes were anticipated. (If you like a more savory, less sweet dessert, then you'd probably really like these. I'd recommend having some vanilla bean ice cream on hand, though, just in case...)

No comments:

Post a Comment