Monday, April 18, 2011

Brownie version of a kid classic

Last weekend I went over to a friend's house for an early season BBQ. It was just three of us, but I was in the mood to bake, and I always bring brownies to BBQs at this friend's house, no matter the size of the crowd. I looked in my cabinet to see what I had to add to my usual dark chocolate brownie mix. The pickins' were slim - a bag of peanut butter chips, a handful of bittersweet choco chips, walnuts, and mini-mallows. I was feeling the PB, but wanted to jazz it up a bit.... Then it hit me - MALLOWS! Fluffernutter brownies - pb chips mixed in, mallows browned on top - this could work!

So I baked up the usual brownies with pb chips (using the mix & my usual add-ins of extra vanilla and sea salt), then sprinkled the top with mini-mallows and stuck the pan under the broiler for a few minutes until they were brown. Overall, a success, though I should have cut them when they were warm 'cause the mallow just stuck to the knife... or warmed the knife prior to cutting....

This combo will definitely make the rotation, though I think I may save a quarter cup of the pb chips to melt and drizzle over the top next time, or maybe even mix some pb into the brownie batter to amp up the pb flavor. (I only had crunchy pb at home, and one of my boys doesn't like nuts in his brownies...)

One of the boys took the leftovers to work & said they were a hit! (I had made a 13x9 pan - three of us weren't finishing that off.) Always good when strangers like your food!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds Mahvelous...but I think you ought to try fluff next time...
    -Mom

    ReplyDelete